My busy workload the past couple weeks has contributed to infrequent updates. For the most part I'm just happy that I seem to have a little more energy each week and that the benefits of the chemo getting out of my system seem to outweigh the hit I'm taking from the radiation.
Yesterday (Christmas Eve) I had my last treatment to the whole breast which is a huge breath of relief as my skin will get a little break. Safe to say that my skin is now rosey and my armpit is indeed very sore. From what I understand the soreness in that area is very typical and has more to do with friction from arm movement and clothing than the lack of protective gel the first few weeks of radiation. I can now put more aggressive skin treatment (oils/creams) that will provide better pain and healing relief, as well as a little bit of my lidocaine cream leftover from the port if I choose.
The last 5 treatments - starting tomorrow and ending on December 31 - will be targeted only to the area where the tumor was removed. The area will be small with a higher intensity radiation, but a lower energy - electrons versus protons. Fascinating, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment