Saturday, December 6, 2014

I know....it will grow back

I feel like I've been a pretty good sport about the whole hair loss thing, but it doesn't change the fact that I cringe at the sight of myself in a mirror. I've taken very few pictures of myself the past 5 months but I suppose it's not a bad idea to document just how bad things got so that when I look back years from now and complain of a bad hair day I can remember just how bad it could be. And to be fair I used the "retouch" tool on the bottom two images to lessen the dark undereye circles, it is actually worse. Not to mention the swelling around my eyes has actually gone down in the last few weeks. The first week I returned to work things were pretty swollen and I'm thankful there are no images to remind myself just how bad that looked.

Last week was rough on my eyebrows and yesterday I lost the last 3 stragglers. I hate to dwell on the eyebrows, but seriously they do A LOT for your face. I suppose there's always something you'd change about your looks, but since I was a teenager I've always thought I had a nice pair of eyebrows which makes it all the more painful to have lost them. I use a eyebrow liner to pencil them in everyday which is a very frustrating exercise in symmetry.  It's one thing to enhance your thin eyebrows with a pencil, it's a totally different thing to draw them in from scratch trying to make sure one isn't higher than the other, or strangely arched looking a bit on the angry side. There is no way to recreate what I had with a pencil, instead it's this little thin archy brow that doesn't really look like anything like my natural brow. If I drew things the direction of my natural brow I'd look very sad. Sadder than I already look.

It sucks. And yes, I realize they will grow back.
July 2014, before chemo
December 2014, 6 weeks post-chemo
Make-up rookie yielding an eyebrow pencil

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could give you a big hug. I will say, honestly, your drawn-on eyebrows are amazing. But yeah, this sucks. How long does it take for hair to grow again after chemo? I really hate that you've had to go through this. Hugs from afar.

    ReplyDelete